This page, always updated, collects all the articles on how to become a successful project manager, ordered according to the same logical sequence that you would find in a workshop or in a mentoring path.
Since the year 2000, training project managers has occupied a significant part of my time. It was therefore inevitable that even the blog privileged the needs of this particular type of manager.
The Project Manager job
In 2003, I was in The Hague listening to the big boss of the Project Management Institute (PMI) describing his vision for the next 30 years.
In essence, project management at the center of the world and becoming a project manager the ambition of every talented young person…
All as expected, until the speaker was interrupted by an old man who said: “My name is Russell Archibald and I think that project management will no longer exist in 10 years”.
At this point the little man paused for effect, causing a great buzz (Archibald is a myth and his book a classic), then he continued: “Project management will disappear because it will be integrated into management. Every manager will necessarily also be a project manager ”.
It is a statement that has stuck with me and of which I am absolutely convinced, and it is also for this reason that this blog is called management dojo, without the project!
So what does it mean to become a project manager?
- The project mindset – how to cultivate the project manager’s approach
In my first years of teaching project managers, this topic was presented in detail only in advanced courses. Indeed, the PMBOK introduced the knowledge area of Project Stakeholder Management only in 2013 with its 5th edition.
Today, when I start a new curriculum, this is the first area I go in-depth after having explained the basics (i.e. what is a project).
In fact, it is said that project managers only devotes 20% of their time to project management techniques, while the remaining 80% is stakeholder management.
The project has no chances if you aren’t able to identify stakeholders, understand their needs and satisfy them within the constraints imposed by the sponsor (who, by the way, is your key stakeholder).
In reality, stakeholder management is a competence applicable to almost all aspects of life. No matter the kind of engagement, we can be successful only if we manage to make all stakeholders move towards the same goal.
To develop this competence, I created and recommend my Stakeholder Management for Project Managers online course, a proven learning experience and a must to become a successful Project Manager: click on the banner below!
- Stakeholder engagement – in this short post I use a real life anecdote to illustrate a competence that can really make the difference
- Customer satisfaction – another short story for demonstrating how to engage a key category of stakeholders: customers
The foundations for the success of a project are laid long before its official start: when starting a project, the most important decision is to choose the ‘right project’.
Is it really worth committing time and resources to the project I’m about to start?
Wouldn’t be better to invest in some other initiative with more promising prospects?
- 21 questions for your successful project – before hitting the START button
- Triple constraint: how much is too much? – understand which of the 3 is the driver
To become a project manager it is necessary to learn how to use a few methods and tools, so as to be able to organize a project that meets the expectetions of stakeholders, while respecting quality, time and cost constraints.
- Trust the tools – try to avoid depending on human beings evaluations
- Plan to replan – paradoxically, the biggest advantage of developing a plan is that we gain the luxury of changing it
THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS… the bulk of articles is in Italian: if you can read Italian, switch the language on the top menu.
Otherwise visit this page again in a few days…